Gooseberry relish
Goose berries or amla must have been named after goose bumps, which you get when you chomp on one. I fondly remember water tasting very sweet after eating a goose berry. They are on par with the salmon berries Brian Doyle describes in his book Mink river, describing their taste as "bittersweetorangeyellowacidic"! Growing up I remember eating goose berry pickle with rice, especially with curd rice.
My mom made this pickle couple of days back and I had to document the procedure, shown below with photographs.
![]() |
| Wash goose berries, pat dry with cloth and roast with oil for twenty minutes |
![]() |
| Lightly roast mustard and fenugreek seeds and blend |
![]() |
| Mix the powder with lemon juice, chilli powder and salt |
![]() |
| Crush the roasted gooseberries with the mix to remove all the seeds |
![]() |
| For seasoning, heat sesame oil and add curry leaves, mustard and fenugreek seeds |
![]() |
| Mix everything well together |
![]() |
| And the goose-bumping goose berry pickle is ready! |







Comments
Post a Comment